Finding a job takes a lot of time, energy and commitment. It can be a full-time job itself! Use the resources here to make your job search more efficient and successful.
Need access to a computer to search for jobs, fill out online job applications or write a resume? Our 15 locations offer free computer access and wireless (Wi-Fi) connection. Find your branch.
An interview is a two-way street. Ask questions. Examples include:
- What would a typical day be like for me at this position?
- Is there opportunity for growth in your company?
- What is the next step in the interview process?
Helpful Computer Tips
The first thing to do before any job search is to set up an email account. Employers often ask you to email your resume or a job application. Be one step ahead and have it ready to go.
Many sites offer free email services. Simply create an account by filling out the website form.
While the registration form can be somewhat intimidating, it only needs to be completed once.
Often times the desired username (the portion of the email address before the ‘@’ symbol) is already taken. Get creative or pick one of the suggestions.
Stuck? Try using your initials, middle name, a nickname (keep it professional), numbers or symbols
Make sure you note important details like your new email address and password so you are able to check your email in the future.
- Open MS Word.
- Click on File.
- Click on New.
- Search by the keyword Resume to locate templates.
- Find a template you like and select by double clicking. We recommend a functional or chronological resume.
- To change information on the template click the bracket or area you want to replace with your personal information. For example, click on [Street Address] and simple type your address.
- To add more than one entry of any category, such as multiple jobs in the Work Experience area, highlight the bracket portion you want repeated and copy and paste it as many times as you would like before changing the information.
- Use the Print Preview to get an idea of how your resume will look when printed.
- Insert the flash drive into a USB port.
- Click File in the upper left corner.
- Click Save As.
- Click My Computer.
- Locate the flash drive (usually Removable Disk E:) and double-click.
- In the File name box, type a name for the document.
- Click Save.
- On your email composing screen click the paperclip image to Attach a file.
- In the window that opens, select Computer to locate the flash drive and double click.
- Click the name of the document you wish to attach, then click Open.
- The box should close and the attachment process will begin. Depending our your email company you may have to click Attach again to begin the process.
- Once the upload is completed you will be returned to the composing screen and see the file name or image at the bottom.
- Repeat these steps to attach more files.
- You are now ready to send your email with an attachment.
Tip: Send yourself an email with the resume attached to keep a copy in your email inbox for the future.